Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Friday, April 15, 2011

Gumweed!





With the exception of a few (very few) green blades of grass, the forbs that usually brighten up the native pastures in the spring are definitely still sitting dormant.  Usually by now, the crocus' and three-flowered avens are blooming.  This is last years 'Gumweed' (Grindelia squarrosa)... (hmm... I wonder if my range prof. would be impressed that I remember this?).  Usually a bright yellow, sunflower-like plant, with a very sticky resin on it, this plant was at one time used by Native Americans to relieve asthma, bronchitis, and colic.  Modern medicine now uses the flower extract to treat whooping cough and asthma!  Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Well if your prof isn't impressed, I am! Did you have to look up the latin? LOL
    cool pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't ... scary I know! Its one of the easy latins words I've never forgotten! The scary thing ... I remember alot of the latin and not the common! Haha! Useful information!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...