Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Haying Season is HAWK Season!!!!



And I would likely get more bales made if I wasn't so fascinated by 'hawks!'  I apologize ... I've been on a bit of a bird run again ...  but summer is short and such amazing creatures just don't stick around for our Canadian winters ... so please bare with me!  After raking hay in one field, I headed over to the other one to check on my boys to see how baling was going!  Of course, I had to pack my camera knowing the hawks would be in abundance!  Perched on the bales or soaring above, hawks have a feeding frenzy on mice and voles in a hay field!  These are a couple of Swainson's Hawks (Buteo swainsoni).



Heading out of the field, a Red-Tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) soared above me blasting us with its piercing call!  As I drove past an aspen grove ... I caught a glimpse as to why the red-tailed hawk was a bit boisterous ... two young, spring juvenile hawks were perched up in the tree obviously waiting for supper!  VERY COOL!!!  


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous post . I learn so much from you too Terri. Keep up the lovely work. Xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...