Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Monday, August 8, 2011

Checking on Olive!


The boys and I took some time this afternoon and headed over to the Medicine River Wildlife Centre (http://www.medicineriverwildlifecentre.ca).  We have never been to the wildlife centre nor had we been over to visit "Olive," the Great Horned Owl that we found tangled in one of our fences not too long ago (Owl Rescue post, July 19th).  The wildlife centre has a wonderful interpretive centre, wildlife hospital, educational programs and nature trail.  Currently, if I remember correctly ... the centre is looking after 16 injured Great Horned Owls, including "Olive!"  WOW ... that's a lot of Great Horned Owls!!!  They are also caring for hawks, song birds, waterfowl, mammals, etc.

The boys and I were able to see Olive but I did not take pictures of her as she was in an inside pen.  However, I can report that she looks amazing ... and has grown so much in the last few weeks!  Her "horns" ... ear tufts are forming and her little 'fuzzy' feathers are disappearing.  She damaged some muscle tissue but she is healing and she is flying.  Hopefully, within the next few weeks, she will be strong enough that she can be released back to her original stomping grounds!  Although I did not get any shots of "Olive" ... I was able to take a couple of pictures of these beautiful Barred Owls (Strix varia).



These owls are found in our forests ... alas ... not the 'bald ass prairie!'  So, I've only seen a barred owl one other time, hence it was a treat to see these gorgeous creatures with their very distinct dark eyes!!  Prior to leaving the centre, the boys and I checked out their nature trail!  If you get a chance to check out the wildlife centre ... please do ... its a fantastic way to educate yourself and your family on our local wildlife!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...