Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Columbia Icefields and Athabasca Glacier!


Yes, Day 2 of our trip found us back at the Columbia Icefields (http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit32.aspx) and exploring the Athabasca Glacier via the Ice Bus!  We've driven past the icefields numerous times but thought it would be great for the kids to see!  All I can say is "WOW!" ... driving by the glacier vrs being on the glacier and learning about the glacier(s) puts many things into perspective!  This glacier is retreating (melting) at a rate of approximately 30ft per year ... and at that current rate they calculate that this glacier will only be around for approximately another 150 - 200 yrs.  It will surpass my lifetime and my kids but it certainly will not be around for numerous future generations at these rates.  


Those lil' black dots are the ice buses taking people part way up the glacier!  That is where we headed!











2 comments:

  1. I'm speechless at the beauty of it all! (Keep this post I am seldom speechless)Such vivid blues!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...