Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Orion, The Hunter



Since the day slipped past my camera, I thought I would attempt capturing 'Orion, the Hunter,' since it's one of the most recognizable constellations in our winter sky (looking south)!  If you don't know what to look for, Orion's right shoulder is marked by the bright orange star known as Betelgeuse (this is one of the largest known stars!!!)  The 3 bright stars in a row mark Orion's belt and the three faint stars below the belt, mark his hanging sword.  The even brighter white star in the bottom right of the above picture, also marks Orion's left knee.  This star is known as Rigel!  Hmm ... the things you retain from Grade 8 Science Class!  

2 comments:

  1. Orion is my fave! And I can never get a good picture of stars, this makes me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be jealous ... it could be a better shot! I really want to try to get a shot of Orion's Nebula. I'm hoping to eventually figure that one out and get a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...