Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Down For the Count


I have to apologize ... I was down for the count, struck by the flu bug, but regaining my old self back!  However, I don't think this field of canola can rebound from the hail that 'hammered' it last night!  Upon checking our crops this morning ... it looks rather annihilated!  I guess that's the business of farming.  You gamble everything against mother nature.  I think we must have received at least 3 inches of rain in a half hour ... or at least it felt like we did.  On the bright side, the ducks are happy ... the sloughs are filled to the brim once again!  

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better. Hail has a way of knocking the breath out of our spirits. I hope it only hit this crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. Feeling much better today! I actually headed outside for some fresh air once the rain stopped! Most of our crops have been hit ... some, like the canola took a bigger hit, but hopefully the flax and peas will come back! What do you do? :)

      Delete
  2. I am a teacher. We have lived on our acreage almost twenty years. When we first moved here, we were hit really hard by hail. The storm flipped some out our feeder houses, broke our picture windows, smashed our roof, siding, trees and plants. Tree branches were thrown through my son's bedroom window and landed on is bed. Luckily, it was early in the evening and he wasn't in his room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only have a small hay field to feed our bourses, but we have to buy hay for most of the year. Hail never effects our livelihood like it does yours, but I do understand the devastation . Many of my relatives were farmers in Saskathewan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...