Welcome to My Little Piece of the Prairies ...

Monday, May 27, 2013

That Prairie Plover


We don't have very many plovers that migrate to Alberta for the summer.  In fact we only have three.  However, the Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) are certainly well known to most of us.  Killdeer are usually the first shorebirds to return in the spring and most of us can recognize their distinctive voice.  Wandering too close to a nest, more often than not, sparks at least one of the parents to perform the 'broken wing' act in hopes of luring you away.  Killdeer, like most plovers, tend to run, stop and eat ... making it somewhat entertaining to watch these quirky shorebirds!  





8 comments:

  1. Great photos Terri...you got so close!! I was at Stampede Ranch yesterday and I didn't think there were as many killdeer as there should be. Noticing fewer meadowlarks too. What d'you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know our spring weather was tough on birds ... it doesn't seem like we have near as many birds period Gena. Usually by now I have filled my feeder 20x because the American Goldfinches and Pine Siskins have returned in droves. Last year when they first returned I would have more than 30 goldfinches at one time at my feeder this year, they just returned on the weekend (which is late) and I've seen 5 goldfinches! I think the weather/storm systems are messing up our feathery friends. We don't seem to have the hawks nor the ducks this year either.

      Delete
  2. sweet shots...enjoying some western birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that you got so close, being that they are quite skittish! They are such noisy birds.

    I have noticed plenty of these feathered friends around here, including meadowlarks, finches, and one orange and black bird that sounds like he is singing, La Cucaracha", but I also haven't had to fill my feeders in a long time. I am guessing of that it is because all of the cats around my place. I was also am beginning to question the quality of the feed...

    I never thought of there being less around. There is a giant chorus being played here everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps when you use your 70-300mm to get close! I don't think we have near as many birds this year but then we're north of the #9 hwy and that seems to impact things! LOL!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...